POP-UP 2021 – DANTE’S INFERNO
THE 6th ANNUAL PORTFRINGE FUNDRAISING EVENT
WILL PREMIERE ON APRIL 3, 2021!
ARE WE IN HELL?
How can we grasp for hope?
Is there divine retribution waiting for the politically
and morally corrupt in this time of societal upheaval?
These questions are (sadly, infuriatingly) as true today as when Dante penned his Inferno in 1300. This year, we could not be more excited to have Inferno as PortFringe’s 2021 Pop-Up Event. Its relevance to today, its poetic description of the netherworld, and its fierce punishments proposed for those who disagree with you feel more appropriate than ever. Although it may be hard to see the divine comedy in these (ACTUALLY SADLY PRECENDENTED, IT TURNS OUT!) times, we know that Dante’s epic of eternal (but surprisingly contemporary) retribution will bring out the messy and joyous PortFringe spirit.
Not super familiar with the details of Dante’s journey through hell? Not to worry! We’ll be working from a contemporary abridged translation (no early medieval Tuscan to parse here!), and will give all participating Artists all the help you’ll need to be successful in your scene preparations. There is a wealth of online Inferno resources, and you can also dig into a public domain translation of the unabridged original text (translated by Portland’s poetic native son, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow!), if that’s your thing. More Inferno questions? email email@example.com
WHAT’S A PORTFRINGE POP-UP?
POP-UP is the annual fundraiser for PortFringe – Maine’s Fringe Festival. Performance Artists, chosen by random lottery, are each assigned one section of a classic work — which must be performed in just a few minutes (and with zero communication with the other scenes).
With the COVID-19 pandemic still very much a consideration, we regret will be unable to present our usual raucous, sell-out, live event — but the show must go on! POP-UP INFERNO – will provide (at least!) 12 theater artists/companies the chance to record their fringe work as part of an incredibly bizarre mash-up fringe-on-film experience! POP-UP INFERNO will premiere in a live virtual event on Saturday April 3 (EASTER WEEKEND) and then be available for streaming video rental through April 15, 2021.
VERY BASIC RULES:
- Artists must agree to present the Pop-Up scene assigned to them by the lottery (no switching)!
- Artists must present the entire Pop-Up scene in three minutes or less.
- One line of original text in the Pop-Up scene (spoken, visually, or any other creative way)!
- Artists must provide an acceptable video recording of their work.
- Artists may only participate in one POP-UP INFERNO scene.
- Artists must agree to follow all other rules and policies outlined in the application (below).
VERY BASIC LOGISTICS:
- Applications must be submitted before midnight on Friday, January 15, 2021.
- Selection lottery will take place and Artists will be notified on Saturday, January 16, 2021. Scenes will be assigned based on lottery order (i.e. the first lottery draw will be assigned the first INFERNO scene, and so forth…).
- A waitlist will be maintained in the event a selected Artist withdraws from the project.
- There are no fees to participate in PortFringe POP-UP Events. The project lead for each scene will receive 10 passes to PortFringe 2021, as a thank you for participating in the fundraising event.
- Artists must meet all deadlines (detailed in application below), and maintain excellent communication with PortFringe throughout the process.
Boring theater, go home. Really. Please.
As always, PortFringe is looking for WEIRD, original and unexpected performance work. If you’re up for the challenge, please apply below!
(note: applications have now closed – results will be announced on/before Jan 17, 2021 – questions? contact us!)
Quick Clarification: This is an application to participate in POP-UP INFERNO – not an application to participate in next summer’s PortFringe Festival. PF2021 plans will be announced soon!