the 7th annual
WELCOME TO POP-UP PORTFRINGE!
WHAT’S A PORTFRINGE POP-UP?
POP-UP is the annual fundraiser for PortFringe – Maine’s Fringe Festival. Performance Artists, chosen by random lottery, are each assigned one section of a classic work — which must be performed in just a few minutes (and with zero communication with the other scenes). No creative limitations, no application fees, … and no full-company rehearsals! That’s right – the first time the show happens, in scene order, is on opening night, in front of a live audience!
WAIT. A LIVE AUDIENCE?
That’s right – we’re back! After two resilient and resourceful digital seasons, we can’t wait to feel the energy of a live POP-UP experience! While the COVID-19 pandemic is still very much a consideration, we are hoping and planning for a weekend of the raucous, sell-out, live, and in-person fringe event we all love and have missed!
A HISTORY OF PORTFRINGE POP-UP EVENTS
Click here for a list of Past PortFringe POP-UP events, venues,
and participants, click here! >>
THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE!
We are incredibly excited that 2022 will be the first ever musical theater/operetta PortFringe Pop-Up. Pirates of Penzance is a frothy and absurd musical comedy built on satirizing musical hits of its time, and we are excited for PortFringe artists to bring the same variety, panache, and critical spirit to Pirates as they have shown time and again through Pop-Up. Gilbert and Sullivan are deeply flawed creators–as is Shakespeare, as is Dante and Homer–but we also feel like this piece effectively captures the Fringe ethos, and we are excited to see PortFringe artists reimagine Pirates in a contemporary context. Whether that means satirizing, re-contextualizing, or otherwise reacting to the themes of the show, we want it all–and it feels right for the increasingly absurd moment we find ourselves in.
Not super familiar with the Gilbert & Sullivan’s comic opera? Not to worry! We’ll be working with a cutting of the original libretto, and will give all participating Artists all the help you’ll need to be successful in your scene preparations. There is a wealth of online resources, and you can also dig into a public domain translation of the unabridged original libretto, if that’s your thing. More PIRATES OF PENZANCE questions? email email@example.com
ARTIST APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
POP-UP PIRATES OF PENZANCE – will provide (at least!) 10 theater artists/companies the chance to perform their fringe-iest interpretation of this classic comedic opera during two incredibly bizarre mash-up performances taking place on April 1 & 2, 2022.
VERY BASIC LOGISTICS:
- Applications must be submitted before midnight on Sunday, October 31, 2021.
- Selection lottery will take place and Artists will be notified on or before Friday, November 5, 2021. PIRATES OF PENZANCE Scenes will be assigned based on lottery order (i.e. the first lottery draw will be assigned the first PIRATES scene, and so forth…).
- A waitlist will be maintained in the event a selected Artist withdraws (or is removed) from the project.
- There are no fees to participate in PortFringe POP-UP Events. Each scene will receive 10 free tickets to the PortFringe 2022 Festival as a thank you for making our annual fundraising event possible.
VERY BASIC RULES FOR ARTISTS:
- Artists may only participate in one POP-UP PIRATES OF PENZANCE scene. No exceptions.
- You will have complete artistic control over the direction, casting, and treatment of your assigned section.
- You must present the entire Pop-Up scene in five minutes or less including setting/clearing the playing space.
- As the source material is an opera, your PIRATES OF PENZANCE scene must include at least one sung line of the musical text in your assigned scene! (Please note: you do NOT need to be a competent musician to participate in this event! Conversely, you can make your scene as musical as you’d like, provided you do not just present the musical in its original form).
- You/your company must refrain from discussing the treatment and details of your section until opening night.
- You must attend both performances and any company meetings taking place during the performance weekend. You must also make every effort to attend the POP-UP check-in sessions (on zoom) in the months preceding the event. A full list of dates will be available for you to review in the application (below).
- You must comply with any/all COVID-19 pandemic-related guidelines, expecations, best practices, mandates, etc, put forth by PortFringe, POP-UP venue management, and the city of Portland. You further acknowledge that these may change at any time, as the pandemic continues to evolve and change.
- You must be willing to adapt your POP-UP scene to a digital format if pandemic conditions render an in-person event impossible.
- You must agree to follow all other rules and policies outlined in the application (below), and maintain excellent communication with PortFringe throughout the process.
Boring theater, go home. Really. Please.
As always, PortFringe is looking for WEIRD, original and unexpected performance work. If you’re up for the challenge, please apply below!
NOTE: This is an application to participate in the POP-UP PORTFRINGE production of THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE taking place in April 2022. The 10th PortFringe Festival will be held in June 2022 – application information will be posted soon!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Midnight on Sunday, October 31, 2021
REMAINING QUESTIONS? Contact PortFringe