Thank you for your interest in volunteering for PortFringe! We are lucky have over 70 volunteers each year, and we are excited to have you join us!
SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER HERE. More details about PortFringe 2018 coming soon.
PortFringe is an all-volunteer run festival. From our organizing team to the folks hanging posters, we rely on you, our volunteers, to make it all happen. Join one of Portland’s most diverse and most bizarre arts offerings this year. Volunteering is a great way to connect to Portland’s performing arts community. All volunteers receive a free, PortFringe Volunteer T-shirt, plus one free show pass per shift they work, and a number of other perks!
PortFringe needs volunteers for the following dates:
- Pop Up MidsummerPop Up Midsummer: March 2 and 3.
- PortFringe Festival 2018: June 16-23
- March-June: PortFringe Street Team. Help us spread the word and organize the festival in June!
We are looking to fill following volunteer opportunities:
- Box Office staffing: Volunteers sell tickets, manage crowds, liaise with artists and audiences, and help ensure that each show starts and ends on-time.
- Venue Technicians: Volunteer technicians help accommodate artists’ limited technical needs, run the light/sound board during shows, and ensure the safety and functionality of the venue.
- Publicity/Port Fringe Street Team: Volunteers spread the good word, hang posters, and help publicize PortFringe before and during the festival, both in person and on social media.
If you have another skill you bring to the table like: photography, videography, social media, press, public relations and more, please let us know!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What if I don’t have any experience in theatre?
A: Any and every skill set is valued and appreciated at PortFringe. All of your energy and talents make it happen!
Q: How long are shifts?
A: Most box office and tech shifts run between 3 and 5 hours per night. You can work one shift, or you can work ten! We love it if volunteers can commit to 2-3 shifts over the course of the festival, and we make special preference for technical volunteers who are available to staff the same venue for multiple days. However, we try to make sure that if you want to help, there are opportunities for you.
Q: What’s in it for me?
A: All PortFringe volunteers will get one free show pass per shift worked. If you work more than six consecutive hours, you get two free passes. If you work 18+ hours you will get one free VIP pass. All PortFringe volunteers will also get a free PortFringe Volunteer T-shirt.
Likewise, volunteering for PortFringe is an excellent opportunity to get to know the theater and performing arts community locally. It’s also a great opportunity to experience a huge amount of performances and learn from the successes and risks of the 40+ artists involved in the festival.
Q: How can I sign up for shifts at the festival? We release the volunteer schedule for box office volunteers ~a month or two before the festival, check back in early May for a full schedule and the opportunity to sign up for shifts. Tech volunteers, contact Catherine at email@example.com, and we will figure out a schedule that works for you.
Questions? Please contact volunteer manager Catherine Buxton at firstname.lastname@example.org